2013-2014 Youth In Government Team
The purpose of the YMCA’s Youth in Government program is to bring the workings of state government alive to students. It creates an opportunity for students to discuss current state issues with state administrators, elected officials, and students from high schools throughout the state.
The East Mountain High School Youth in Government team is sponsored by Vin Langan. Each April, a team travels to Santa Fe to participate in the three day “model legislature” experience.
There are six ways to participate in Youth in Government:
- Executive: Students work with Youth Governor in planning the event and reviewing bills.
- Legislature: Students write bills and debate in the House and Senate.
- Supreme Court: Students write briefs and present them before student judges in an appellate court.
- Forum: Students research and debate a topic resulting in a bill presented at the end of the session.
- Newspaper: Students write for The Delegate’s Daily which is distributed daily during the session.
- Video: Students cover events and present a video at the end of the session.