MESA is an organization at East Mountain High School open to any student with an interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics. We are part of a larger state-wide organization: NM MESA, Inc. MESA operates in California, Oregon, Arizona and New Mexico.
The mission of MESA is to:
- Create well-educated professionals who reach their full potential as leaders through Math, Engineering, Science, and Technology achievement.
- Empower and motivate New Mexico’s students with science, technology, engineering, and math education.
- Promote educational enrichment through various learning opportunities.
- Prepare students for college and careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Offer scholarship incentives for participating and exceeding the minimum MESA requirements.
Over the course of the school year, students who join MESA will:
- Take field trips to places like the National Atomic Museum, New Mexico Tech, Explora and Camp Oro Quay.
- Attend after-school and lunch meetings.
- Participate in academic & design competitions like the MESA Regional Design Competition at UNM, RoboRave and the Science Olympiad.
- Visit colleges. Explore careers.
- Complete hands-on labs, like the Sunset in a Bag Lab, the Bubble Lab and the Hydro Pump Rocket Lab.
- Gain leadership experience.
- Learn about summer enrichment opportunities.
- Serve their community through the Elementary School Science Day and other opportunities to give back.
Students who complete the minimum annual requirements listed below can earn an incentive award – a $1,000 scholarship to the college of his or her choice!
Minimum Student Commitment:
- 1 parent meeting
- 18 meetings
- 12 tutoring sessions
- 1 MESA field trip
- 1 MESA give-back project
- 1 (STEM) competition
- 1 MESA leadership activity
- 2.0 GPA (min)
- College-Prep Math, Science, English for all 4 years of high school
- ACT/SAT during junior or senior years
Meetings are currently Fridays during lunch in Room 306 and after-school in Room 200. For more information about MESA at East Mountain High School, please contact Marie Booth at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about MESA in New Mexico, please visit http://nmmesa.org/.